Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Learning the Truth




When I was in school I only wanted to learn the truth. Like most kids, I didn’t always want to go to school, but I figured that since I was there I might as well make the most of it. I didn’t want a teacher to tell me that Abraham Lincoln was the 1st president of the United States, or that two plus two equals five; I wanted to learn the truth.

If that is true for our education, then should it not also apply to what we learn about God or His Word? No matter how much I write about it, it still amazes me that people insist that we cannot know anything for sure. Well, I’m quite sure that Lincoln was our 16th president, and that two plus two always equals four.

I’m also sure that John 14:6 is true. Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. No one gets to the Father except through Him. But some will say that John 14:6 might be true for me but not true for them, or that I cannot know what is true at all.

So to the person that tells me that I cannot know this for sure, I ask you, are you absolutely sure? If you say yes, then you are admitting that there are absolutes, which means that I can be absolutely sure that Jesus is the only way. If you say no, then you are admitting that you might be wrong, and that I might be right that Jesus is the only way. Either way you answer, you can’t prove me wrong.

As Christians, let us pray along with the psalmist who said, “Lead me in Your truth, and teach me, for You are the God of my salvation…(Psalm 25:5)”

If you are a skeptic, an atheist, or not quite sure what you believe, I encourage you to pray that simple prayer: God, if you are real, please lead me into truth.

If you are a seasoned believer then I encourage you to pray the same prayer: God, please continue to lead me into truth.

He will, and that’s the truth.    

(related blog post: What is Truth?)

No comments:

Post a Comment