Tuesday, December 26, 2017

When the Last Present's Been Opened



I really enjoy Christmas. I always have, and I hopefully always will. Whether it is the nostalgia from watching childhood Christmas specials, the excitement of our own children, or the tastes of the season’s dishes, I try to slow down and take it all in. Have a cup of hot chocolate. Watch a cheesy Hallmark movie. For as many Christmases as I can remember, the buildup is exciting, and there is always a touch of sadness when the holidays are over.

Putting away the decorations means I won’t see them for eleven more months. I won’t be signing along to Bing Crosby until after Thanksgiving. The joy and excitement that dominated the previous month quickly dissipates as we settle back into the grind of life, the not-quite-as-jolly routine that is January through mid-November.

But there is good news. Just because Christmas is over doesn’t mean that what we celebrate is likewise over. If you are like me and get a little down after Christmas, just remember what Christmas is about. The birth of Jesus continues to change us throughout the year, not just in December. I want to share with you a poem I wrote called “When the Last Present’s Been Opened.”

Stores are overcrowded, fights are breaking out.
I’ve got so many things to do, I just want to stop and shout.
But it’s OK because Christmas time is here;
In the midst of all this chaos, there’s still holiday cheer.
The gifts are piling up underneath the tree,
Children shake them eagerly, wondering what they might be.
The entire Christmas season always goes by fast,
And it won’t be long at all until the season is past.

When the last present’s been opened, and the gifts are given away,
The decorations have come down; there’s no “Merry Christmases” left to say.
There’s no more “Season’s Greetings;” no more Christmas cheer.
The spirit of the season won’t be back for another year.
When there are no more Christmas parties, no more carols left to sing,
Take joy in knowing this: Jesus is still the King!


May we continue to celebrate the Savior all year.

No comments:

Post a Comment