Monday, May 20, 2019

Gas Gauge



Last week I wrote about the tire issues I had with my truck, and that got me thinking about another problem I have: the gas gauge does not work. When I first got the truck it worked fine, but eventually I noticed that after I filled up the tank the gauge still showed I was on empty. For a while I tried to mentally keep track of how long it had been since I last got gas, until one day I ran out and came to a stop on the side of the road.

After that experience I bought a two-gallon gas can and kept it in my truck, and every time I sputtered to a stop I pulled over and added the gas. I know what you may be thinking since so many people have offered me this advice over the years. Just write down the mileage when you fill up and keep track of how far you go. I choose not to do that because that method involves math, and math is very much a part of the axis of evil. Also, my odometer doesn’t work, so keeping up with my mileage isn’t going to happen. Instead I keep the gas can full and try to remember to top off my tank every so often.

It can be very confusing when the instrument intended to keep me on track leads me astray. When I think there is enough gas to get me where I am going, but then run out before I get there, it really messes with my plans. A broken gauge doesn’t do much good. The Bible gives us several things that can be used like a gauge; these are things we can use to measure ourselves to see if we are where we are supposed to be. The fruit of the Spirit and the works of the flesh in Galatians 5 are a gage. Is the needle closer to the good side or the bad side?

How are you doing with loving your neighbor as yourself? Are you on E or F in that department? What about the Great Commission? Are you being a disciple-maker? Are you a person who bears other people’s burdens? Do you pray for others?  

If we honestly evaluate ourselves by using some of these biblical commands, we can gauge whether or not we are walking with the Spirit and connected to the Vine. We may think we are OK simply because we go to church, or because we have been baptized, but that can be about as reliable as a broken gas gauge. Many people will say to the Lord on judgment day, “Didn’t we do many great things in your name?” His reply will be, “Depart from me, you who practice lawlessness. I never knew you (Matthew 7:23).”


If you are running on empty, pull over for a fill up right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment