Sunday, December 29, 2019

Give Me the Bad News


We always want the bad news first, right? Whenever someone says, “I’ve got good news, and I’ve got bad news; which do you want first?” we take the bad news first. It isn’t that we like bad news so much that we can’t wait to hear it, we just prefer to get the bad news out of the way and get to the good news. Hearing the bad news is hard, but knowing that some good news is coming right behind it can help to soften the blow of the bad news. 

It reminds me of the man who got a call from his landlord. “I’ve got good news and bad news. The bad news is your rental house burned down and all your possessions are gone. The good news is you are finally out of the lease.” 

Bad news is a part of life, so it is nice when a little good news helps to offset some of the bad. There is a verse in the Bible that begins with really bad news, but quickly shifts gears and gives us the good news. Romans 6:23 begins by saying, “For the wages of sin is death…” That is very bad news since we are all sinners; just three chapters earlier it says “all have sinned,” and “there is none righteous, no, not one.” So we are all sinners, and the earned payment of our sin is death—both physical and spiritual. 

But there is good news! The verse continues, “…but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” That is an amazing turnaround in just a few words. We are all sinners by birth; we are all facing a death of our own deserving; but now we learn that we can avoid death and receive eternal life. While death is the earned payment for our sin, eternal life is an unearned free gift because of the amazing grace of God. 

This verse doesn’t mean that Christians will drink from the fountain of youth and find immortality. The Bible teaches that we pass from death to life when we trust in Christ (John 5:24). When my heart stops beating here and my time on earth is over, I’ll continue living in heaven. In that sense I will never truly die. Conversely, Revelation 20:14 and 21:8 teach that the unsaved will experience a second death when they are condemned to the lake of fire. We can avoid this death because of the gift of God. 

God said, “I have good news and I have bad news. The bad news is your sin will lead to your death. The good news is I love you so much that I sent my only Son to die your death in your place. And if you trust in what Jesus did, you won’t face that death you deserve, but instead will have eternal life with me.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment