Sunday, February 7, 2021

Constant Complaining

 

I heard about a young man that decided to become a monk. He wanted to live a life of self-denial, refusing many of the comforts of life. When he first joined the monastery he was shown to his new quarters, and then was told that as part of his vow of silence, he was only allowed to speak two words every ten years, so he better choose them wisely. 

 

At the end of his first ten years he was brought before a council of elders, where he was told he could say whatever was on his mind, or whatever his two words would allow. He didn’t need to think about it very long. “Room cold,” he said. After returning to his cold room the monk went on about his monastic lifestyle for another ten years. Then it was time to appear before the council again. This time the young monk used his two word allowance to say, “Food bad.” After another decade of silence he couldn’t take it any more. When he stood before the council he made another two word declaration: “I quit.” 

 

“Thank goodness,” replied the head monk. “You’ve done nothing but complain since the minute you arrived here.” 

 

Do you know anyone who seems to do nothing but complain? One hundred percent of the monk’s words over a thirty year span was negative. You probably use more than two words per decade, but your percentage may be just as high. People do not want to hear constant complaining; it brings the whole room down. More importantly, complaining is a poor representation of the God we serve. 

 

That is why Paul admonished to, “Do all things without complaining and disputing (Philippians 2:14).” The result, according to Paul, was that the church would become blameless in the eyes of a sinful world. Complaining is what the unsaved do; we do not want to sink to their level. If I didn’t know Jesus I would have a lot to complain about. I would see the world for all its faults, and there would be a lot to get me down. But as a Spirit filled Christian, I can look at the same world and see something completely different. 

 

Where the world sees hopeless, I see hope. Where the world sees destruction, I see the devil, but I know he is defeated. When its dark outside, I have a greater chance to let my light shine. People talk about how bad things are getting, but what’s the worst this world can do to me? If you take my life, you send me to heaven. 

 

There will always be things we could complain about, but then we are only adding to all the negativity. Instead, let’s stay focused on the positives. If you live this way, I promise you will be a magnet that draws people to you, and you will have opportunities to tell people the reason for the hope that lies within.   

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment