Monday, July 23, 2012

A Warm Jacket




As a Floridian by birth, I really love the weather this time of year. As a Child I used to watch Christmas specials on TV, and I longed for the snow that was the icing on the cake for the characters. We would sing songs about a white Christmas and open fire, and those were two things that I never experienced.

When I moved to Fort Worth when I was 18 I had to buy some jackets that first winter. After all, when you are cold, it only makes sense to put on a jacket. Similarly, when we are separated from God, it makes sense to put on His salvation. Listen to how Isaiah put it:

I will greatly rejoice in the Lord, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for He hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, He hath covered me with the robe of righteousness…(Is. 61:10)

God offers us His sweater of salvation and his robe of righteousness. It is essential to notice the order of the garments too: salvation comes before righteousness. This shows us that we cannot become righteous until after we have put on God’s salvation.

If you have not put on God’s salvation, what are you waiting for? That is like refusing a jacket in the snow. If you have put on His salvation, have you also put on His righteousness? We were never meant to wear one without the other.  

No comments:

Post a Comment