Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Jesus is my Rock


I often hear people use the expression that “Jesus is my rock.” Please allow me to point out a few ways from Scripture where we see Jesus as our rock.

First, we are safe behind the rock. In Psalm 18 David says, “The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my strength in whom I will trust (v.2).” In verse 31 he asks, “Who is a rock, but God?” And in verse 46 he says, “The Lord lives! Blessed be the rock, and let the God of my salvation be exalted!”

David wrote these poetic words after God delivered the future king from the current king who was trying to kill him. With Saul hot on his trail, David hid in a cave, which was an opening in the side of a mountain. That was the image David had in mind when he called the Lord his rock, his fortress, and his strength. David was safe behind the rock, and we can find refuge from God in times of trouble.

Second, we are satisfied by the rock. In 1 Corinthians 10:4 Paul wrote of the Israelites in the wilderness that they “all drank from that spiritual rock, and that rock was Christ.” Paul was referring to the rock Moses struck in order to provide water when there was nothing to drink. Paul saw that rock as a picture of Jesus who satisfies us when the things of this world leave us unfulfilled. The concept of drinking from Christ also reminds us of the words spoken by Jesus in the Upper Room: “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. As often as you drink of it, do this in remembrance of me (1 Corinthians 11:25).” There is nothing we can do to satisfy the wrath of God apart from drinking from Jesus, the rock.  

Finally, we stand on top of the rock. In a familiar passage, Jesus said to the disciples, “Upon this rock I will build my church (Matthew 16:18).” Some say the rock to which He referred was Peter, but the original Greek language does not allow for that. Jesus was either pointing to Himself or was referencing Peter’s statement that Jesus was the Christ sent from God. Either way, Jesus said the church is built upon the rock of His Messiahship.


Jesus concluded the Sermon on the Mount by speaking of the wise and foolish builders; the wise man builds his house on the rock, which gives it a firm foundation. When we base our lives on the foundation of Jesus Christ we build lives that can withstand any storm. If your life is not what it should be, try building it upon the Rock of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment