Monday, July 23, 2012

Elephant Ears



This week we went to the Union County Fair and I ate my first elephant ear. No, this was not the ear of Dumbo; this was a funnel cake’s bigger, stronger uncle, complete with half a stick of butter and a pound of cinnamon sugar. This would be one of those snacks that a family could walk around and enjoy together. The problem was that I ate it all myself. You see, I can’t eat like I used to; last week I gained 3 pounds just from driving by Krispy Kreme.

In high school I could have an elephant ear-like feast and not be affected, but now I have to guard what I put into my body. Or so I thought. Now I realize that in high school I only thought I could ingest whatever I wanted; my unbridled sweet tooth led to me sweet addictions that I struggle with now. Today I see the affects of the things I once thought didn’t affect me.

That is where many people see themselves. They think they can put anything into their lives without consequence. But the truth is, the images you put into your mind, the language you put into your ears, the substance you put into your system, the ideas you put into your heart—they all have an impact, even if years down the road. You might think you can live a life of carefree sin, but that lie and lifestyle will slowly destroy you like quicksand.

“For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.”
1 John 2:16-17

No comments:

Post a Comment