Monday, July 23, 2012

Quite an Invitation



Have you ever received a special invitation? You might get an invitation to a birthday party or a wedding, but it is possible that the one inviting you wants your presents more than your presence. In May you may have been bombarded with graduation invitations, but more often than not those are simply polite requests for money.

The word invitation, according to the Dictionary, means “the act of inviting.” But these above invitations hardly seem inviting. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve sent out my fair share of invitations, and I’m not suggesting that there is anything selfish about them. The truth is, however, that the one doing the inviting usually gains more than the one being invited.

But there is another definition of the word invitation. It’s the 4th one listed in the Dictionary; this definition is “attraction or incentive, and allurement.” In this case, the one being invited is being invited to benefit from something. This is the type of invitation that Jesus gives in Matthew 11:28: “Come unto me.” Jesus is inviting all who will to come to Him, and the benefit of doing so is all ours.

He has extended the same invitation to you. Will you RSVP?

“Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.”

No comments:

Post a Comment