Monday, July 23, 2012

Our Advocate


I used to enjoy watching courtroom scenes on TV. For a long time I thought it would be fun to be a lawyer—giving a passionate opening remark, demanding to know where someone was on the night of June 13th, and springing into action with an “Objection!” I also always wanted to ask someone on the stand a question, then follow it up with, “And let me remind you…you are under oath.”


Although it doesn’t look like that is where my career is heading, I still know that one day I will stand in a higher court. God will be Judge, and Satan, my adversary and the accuser of the brethren, will be the prosecutor. He will badger me with the evidence of the crimes I have committed, and there will be no good response from me. No insanity plea; no “you got the wrong guy.” Everyone will know I am guilty.

But there is good news: I have an advocate. An advocate is like a defense attorney, and it means “called to one’s side.” This advocate won’t manipulate the system or push for a mistrial; this advocate won’t even use some clever tactic to try to sway the Judge. No, this advocate will join me in admitting my guilt. He won’t try to set me free based on my innocence, but based on His righteousness.

1 John 2:1 “My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.”

Jesus will tell the Judge, “He is guilty, but he trusted in me, and I have covered him with my blood.” This exhibit A blood evidence changes everything, and from the bench will come the verdict: Not Guilty.

No comments:

Post a Comment