Monday, July 23, 2012

Imitators of God



When I was a kid I loved to do impressions of people. By “kid” I mean that I still love doing impressions of people. My close friends and family will tell you that I do some impressions even if I am terrible at them. But some voices I have mastered over the years, from Shaggy and Scooby to Jar Jar Binks and other cartoon characters.

There is something about being an imitator that has always appealed to me. It is easy to gain an audience and entertain people this way.

The Bible tells us to be imitators, but in a different sort of way. Consider the first verse of Ephesians 5: “Therefore, be imitators of God as dear children.”

To be an imitator of God is kind of like doing an impression of Him. We should look so much like God that people can’t tell the difference. The only difference is that we are not supposed to be imitators of God for others’ sake; that is, we are not here to put on a show. Our imitation of Christ is done for our sake, to make us more like Jesus, and for the sake of others in that we can be a blessing to them and potentially lead them to Jesus.

So how good is your God impression? Is there some habit or part of your lifestyle that makes your impression unrealistic? Then remove it from your life now, and be an imitator of God as dear children.

No comments:

Post a Comment