Monday, July 23, 2012

New Year


    
 2012 is underway, and the wishes for a Happy New Year are dying down. While I certainly hope that this calendar year is a great one for everybody, I generally tend to just focus on one day at a time. Instead of striving for a good year, I just want one good day at a time.

     The problem with putting so much focus on having a good year, is if it starts off on a bad note, or even if it goes south in June, we may write the whole year off and begin to look forward to 2013, thus wishing our way through several months. If we focus on each day, then even if we have a bad day, there is always tomorrow, this new chance to have a better day.

    Like having many days in a year, many chances to have a new beginning, so the Christian life provides many opportunities to begin anew. Jesus said that in order to follow Him we must pick up our cross daily and follow Him. I’ll be honest, there are some days that I don’t do that at all, and some days that I only give it half effort.

     When those days come, we simply need to repent and make tomorrow a better day. Instead of focusing on your entire life, or even 2012 for that matter, focus on today. Make today be a day that you take up your cross and follow Jesus. And when today is over and you wake up in the morning, focus on that day.

     The best way to have a happy new year is by living a holy life one day at a time.

“And He said to them all, if any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.”
Luke 9:23

No comments:

Post a Comment