Monday, July 23, 2012

Imagine


I have a wild imagination. I can be watching a basketball game on TV, and without realizing it, I will begin to daydream about being on the court. Sometimes I even daydream while people are talking to me. Someone can be in my office telling me something very important, and in my mind I am riding a mule through the Grand Canyon.

But even with an imagination that can sometimes dream up big things, I cannot imagine what heaven will be like. And it is not from a lack of trying. I have read the verses in Scripture about streets of gold, the throne room, and the angelic beings, but I have trouble wrapping my mind around the concept. I think the best Bible verse to describe heaven is the one that doesn’t try to describe it at all.

I Corinthians 2:9 says, “Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love Him.”

One commentator paraphrased this verse by saying that “no one can imagine what heaven will be like.” God loves us so much that He is preparing the most outstanding place for us.

In John 14:3 Jesus says that He is preparing this place for us so that we can be with Him. I love this idea. Heaven is not about a beautiful home with a lot of square feet; it is about closeness with Jesus. The Creator of the universe wants to live with me forever.

Now that is hard to imagine.


No comments:

Post a Comment