Monday, July 23, 2012

I'd Rather be Fishin'



Although I’ve never been much of a fisherman, most of the first disciples of Jesus were. When Jesus was calling these men to leave their boats and nets behind to follow Him, He told them, “Fear not. From now on you will be catching men (Luke 5:10).” These professional fishers understood the analogy here—Jesus was calling them to spend their lives bringing other people to Jesus.

I’m no good at catching fish because I don’t have the patience. In fact, people keep telling me that if I would try longer than I would really enjoy it. That is the same strategy we should use when we are fishing for people. Be patient. Don’t give up. Maybe even change your bait.

That is not to say that our message should ever change, but the method in which we present it might. One of the most common reasons people give for not sharing their faith is fear: fear of rejection, ridicule, or messing up the message. But did you notice what Jesus said first in this verse? Fear not! It is not in our power that we fish anyway, but in the power of the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:8).

So get out there and catch ‘em and let the Lord clean ‘em. 

No comments:

Post a Comment