Monday, July 23, 2012

Hate Speech



 I don’t hate many things, but one thing I hate is hate speech. The Bible tells us that no corrupt communication should come out of our mouths, and that we should only use our tongues to lift up (Ephesians 4:32). That is why I am bothered when people choose to use their tongues to senselessly tear others down.

But let’s not be confused. Proverbs 8:13 gives us a green light to a certain type of hate speech. The verse says that “The fear of the Lord is to hate evil.” Based on this verse, there are some things I should hate, and I should make it known that I hate them. I hate evil in all of its forms, for all evil is against God and leads people away from Him. Ultimately, evil brings destruction and ends in death.

You might think I am fanatical for hating evil, but I just view it as obedience. I am not advocating hate speech, but I am calling for Christians to stand up and call out what we hate: evil, and the evil one.

No comments:

Post a Comment