Monday, July 23, 2012

Pulling Weeds




Spring is here, and that means that it is time to work outside. If you are like me then you have been doing yard work, planting flowers, or my least favorite, pulling weeds. I have been hobbling around like Frankenstein because the backs of my legs are sore from bending over in the flowerbed.

Weeds annoy me because, no matter how hard I work or how much I spray, I know those weeds will soon be popping up again. I am left with only two options: put in the back and leg aching work to remove them, or concede and let them overtake the azaleas. I initially lean towards surrendering to the power of the mighty weed, but then I remember how much I enjoy the beauty of a well-groomed lawn. Crab grass among the monkey grass can really ruin an evening rocking on the front porch.

So the other night as I was growing wearing from my weeding I began to wonder if anyone ever settles for less then best. Does a gardener step back from a half-finished garden and decide that his work is “good enough”? Or would he possibly hit the weeds with the weed eater, temporarily masking the problem while allowing the roots to grow stronger?

The best gardeners (which I am not among) are not content until they have removed all the weeds from their lawn, so why are Christians content to get by on being “good enough”? If you think of the weeds as sin in the life of a believer, then let’s pull each one out by the root and rid it from our lives.

I know that nobody is perfect, and I recognize that weeds (and sin) can come creeping back, but that should not deter us from removing it every time it rears its ugly head.

Do you need to “round up” any sin and remove it today? 

"Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us..."
Hebrews 12:1

No comments:

Post a Comment